Frequently Asked Questions

How often will a physician or health professional visit? 
For those residing in Parkview Manor, physicians generally see residents upon admission and once every 30 days for the first 90 days. Visits are then scheduled once every 60 days. However, our nursing professionals are in constant contact with all of the physicians and health professionals that visit the facility. Some insurance companies require that physicians visit more often. Check with our nursing staff for further information.

Can I take my loved one home for a visit? 
Residents may be out of the facility during the day for family outings unless on skilled level of care. Residents may have a leave of absence only with a physician’s authorization, which can be arranged through the nursing staff, for extended leave of more than 24 hours. Upon arrival and departure, for any length of time, the resident or responsible party must sign the LOA (leave of absence) book, located at the nursing station.

What role does Social Services play at Parkview Manor? 
Our social service team assists both residents and their families during transitional periods. They also provide essential information, manage requests and concerns, help in care and discharge planning for each resident. They can arrange professional services for : Power of Attorney, Dementia Assessment, Psychosocial and Psychiatric Evaluations, and individual therapy.

How is the laundry done? 
Can family members take laundry home to do? Parkview Manor routinely washes all resident laundry. Subsequently, if a family/care giver is going to take care of the laundry at home, please let the nursing station know your plans. This way, the staff can place a sign on the closet door notifying our housekeeping staff to leave the clothing for family pick up. We request that family provide a hamper for clothes and pick it up at least twice a week.

All personal clothing is washed in an industrial washing machine at a temperature of 180-degrees. Make sure your loved ones’ clothing is appropriate for washing and drying in these hot temperatures. Avoid bringing clothing that requires cold or warm water, special care or is subject to damage and fading. All clothing must be labeled. We are happy to mark these items with our automated marking machine. All items must be marked including socks, shoes, and other personal items.

What articles of clothing should we bring? 
We recommend approximately five changes of clothing and two pairs of comfortable rubber-soled shoes. All articles should be washed and entered into the residents’ personal inventory log in the medical chart. Other personal items should be marked or engraved for identification. We advise that residents do not keep valuable jewelry or large amounts of cash in the facility.

Is there a limit to the number of people who can visit at one time? 
Although we do not have a formal policy stating visitation guidelines, we suggest using the common areas of the facility to meet with your loved one. If it is not possible to visit in one of the common areas, we suggest a limit of one to three people in a resident room at one time.

Is there any private space available to use? 
For those residing in Parkview Manor, you may reserve the den for any special events (birthday, holidays, meals) with notice. The Great Room at The Elm’s can be reserved for special events for those residing in our assisted living and the activity room may be reserved for those at Westview Estates.

Can my loved one receive mail? 
Definitely. Mail is delivered to residents personally on a daily basis except for Sundays and holidays.

Parkview Manor Care Center
Attn: ____________________ Room number__________
1009 3rd Street
Reinbeck, IA 50669

Or consider using our Send a Greeting formhereon our website. Just type the recipient’s name and type your message. When it arrives in our email box we will print it and hand deliver it to your loved one.

Is smoking permitted in the facility? 
For the safety and welfare of all residents and staff, Parkview Campus is a non-smoking campus which includes all buildings, grounds, and parking lots.

Where should I park, when I come to visit? 
There is ample parking in the parking lots with wheelchair access in each one. Please observe all posted city parking signs, Avoid parking in the drop off zone and spaces specifically reserved for the handicapped, employees and physicians.

Can I bring in my loved ones favorite food? 
Always consult with the nursing staff before bringing food to residents. Any food kept in the resident room must be in properly sealed containers and stored appropriately.

Is there someone who provides haircuts, perms, etc.? 
We have beauticians and barbers that are available weekly.

Will my loved ones room have a television? 
Residents may bring their own television sets and cable hook ups are provided in all of the rooms. We also have a television in the den.

Will my loved one have telephone and internet access? 
WiFi is available for all residents in Parkview Manor and The Elms. We recommend that residents bring a cell phone, but landline hook ups are available at the resident’s request and expense. Landline WiFi is available through phone services available at Westview Estates.

What kinds of activities are planned for the residents? 
Parkview Manor has a vibrant atmosphere with dynamic, individualized activities that match the capabilities and needs of residents and their guests. We also have active resident council and volunteer program. Scheduled activities include: music, fitness activities, religious meetings, outside entertainment, games, gardening, field trips/outings and volunteer involvement. If you would like to arrange something special or have suggestions and ideas for individual or group activities, please inform our director of leisure services. We welcome and encourage involvement from family and friends.

How often will the Rehabilitation staff work with my loved one? 
Our rehab staff can inform you of the rehabilitation program designed for your loved one.

Will Medicare cover my stay in the facility? 
Residents must have a Medicare card that reads “Hospital Insurance.” They must also be admitted to the facility with a physician order within 30 days of a three consecutive night hospital stay not counting any observation nights. Generally, during the first 20 days of care, Medicare will pay 100%. For days 21-100, daily co-insurance co-pay is required. Medicare does not cover most skilled nursing fees over 100 days.

Who do I talk to about food preferences? 
Are there alternate options to each day’s menu? Upon admission our Registered Dietitian and/or Food Service Director will interview your loved one regarding special needs with regards to food preferences. Our own food service personnel prepare all the meals. Special care is taken to serve flavorful and appetizing foods. All menus are developed with our residents in mind.

Should you wish for another food item on a particular day’s menu, please make the CNA aware of your request. This information will be passed on to the Food Service Director and they will try their best to accommodate needs.

Our Registered Dietitian and Food Service Director also monitor nutritional status using monthly weights, intake records, and relevant lab data. The results of these assessments are discussed at care conferences.

What do we do if we have personnel concerns? 
Our primary concern is that your loved one feels comfortable here on our campus and that their needs are being met. You should feel secure and at ease with our staff, particularly those providing direct care. If you have any concerns or praise for our staff, please feel free to contact our social services department or our administrator. They will be able to address any apprehensions you may have regarding any particular staff members.

What is an Ombudsman? 
An Ombudsman is an advocate for residents. They are a third party person NOT employed by the facility who comes by the facility periodically to monitor the activities of the facility. They are not able to tell the facility what to do, but are able to be a voice for a resident with a concern. To contact the Iowa Ombudsman, please call 1-800-532-3213.

Who do I talk to about questions in regard to financials, billing, and/or admission paperwork? 
Parkview Manor and The Elm’s employ a full-time Business Office Manager for all financial and billing concerns. Westview Estates also has a full-time Manager. Should you have any questions regarding these matters, please make an appointment with the appropriate manager by contacting 319-345-6811 for Parkview Manor and The Elms; or contact 319-345-6761 for Westview Estates.

Additionally, should you have questions upon admission regarding the paperwork you are required to completed, please call the appropriate business office. You may request an appointment with these associates to help guide you through the necessary forms required upon admission.

What happens when my loved ones stay at Parkview Manor is over? What options do we have? 
Our goal is to rehabilitate your loved one back to an optimal level. For some residents, this allows them to go home and resume daily activities, while others may need a change in their living arrangements in order to accommodate their needs. For those that need to explore new living arrangements we have several options on campus. 

Can you explain the various living arrangements and levels of care following a nursing home stay? 
Assisted Living
If you’re feeling ready to take the next step in your recovery, Assisted Living is a natural progression. Assisted Living centers provide care for seniors who are healthy enough to not require nursing or therapy, but aren’t quite sure if they are ready to transition home alone. Assisted Living centers cater to seniors who want a more “homelike” environment but with the added security of someone to check up on you 24 hours a day. Services typically include medication management, a wide array of activities, transportation to doctor’s appointments and outings, healthy and balanced meals, and socialization. Assisted living residences are registered, licensed or certified at the state level, usually by the department of health. 

Discharge to Home 
Prior to discharging home, you will want to make sure to think about the environment you will be returning to. How many steps to you have to climb? Do you have adaptive equipment to aid in bathing? Who will be providing you groceries and cooking? How will you get to Dr’s appointments or the pharmacy? Can you care for yourself independently? If you can answer each of these questions in the affirmative, you are probably capable of returning to home independently. 

Home Health Care Services 
Local agencies and associations may offer services for the senior community still living in a home setting. These services can include friendly visiting, home-delivered meals, personal home care services, senior centers, transportation, financial counseling programs, etc. It is highly recommended that you thoroughly research the vast number of Home Health companies prior to signing a contract. 

Senior Housing 
Senior housing is apartment or condominium properties for persons age 55 years or older. Senior housing complexes do not generally provide meals or personal care services to residents but they may offer social activities, transportation or other services. Services will vary depending on size, location, necessity and cost.

Independent Living Communities
Independent living communities are usually large groups of senior housing units. Like senior housing, independent living communities are age-restricted and services are mostly limited, but they will vary from community to community.
Share by: